Friday, July 25, 2008

Spore's Custom Content Heaven

In spite of how much I ripped into the Spore Creature Creator, I'm really looking forward to Spore itself, due out on September 7th. I recently found an article through Sporesite that suggests Spore will come with the option to export creatures, buildings, vehicles, etc. into Maya, one of the (if not the) biggest 3D modeling/animation/effects program for use in creating film-quality special effects. Pixar, Dreamworks, etc. all use it for their various movies.

Now, assuming that one can export their creature already textured, rigged (that is, keep the automatically-generated bone structure), and with some pre-made animations (like the various dance, emotion, and action algorithms), I can foresee some great fan-made web series coming out of this. The toughest parts of creating something in a 3D program is the rigging and animation (as well as rendering, but that mostly takes time and tweaking). Modeling and texturing are easy in comparison.

Maybe I'm overestimating the impact this could have, but, as a fan of the upcoming Spore game, I would like to publicize my support for this feature. Du it, yohaus.

No comments:

Post a Comment