Saturday, July 5, 2008

Swingin' Pink Panther


Ah, the Pink Panther. The cartoon was my first introduction to swing, and I'm pretty damn fond of the genre since. Although the Pink Panther was just the name of a certain gem stone in the film, the animated short at the beginning was so popular, it spawned a number of similar animations completely unrelated to the film. Like the classic Loony Toons, they are great entertainment, and I particularly like the style of the below episode.



The same kind of style shows up in Grim Fandango, a classic adventure game which I have only recently played. Along with its film noir themes, art deco style, and clever caricature, the game features some fantastic music of the 30s swing style (with Hispanic jazz roots as well, which I also enjoy).



I'll be sure to discuss Grim Fandango in more detail in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment